Who we are
The Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika came into existence in 1859 and grew from the original five churches to 384 churches in 2021, with a total of 254 ministers of the Word. The churches are spread right across the RSA and also in Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zambia. These churches are currently being served by 254 ministers, in approximately 15 languages. The GKSA established its own theological school, founded in 1869 in Burgersdorp and operating since 1905 in Potchefstroom. The Theological School Potchefstroom (TSP) is staffed with 14 professors and three administrative officials, connected to the Faculty of Theology of the NWU, and has its own library.
Each Reformed congregation is an independent church that proclaims the Word of the King, in obedience to Him, and act according to His will for the church. Each congregation is, therefore, called “Die Gereformeerde Kerk …”. These churches as a whole form the denomination of the Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika (GKSA) that gather in major assemblies (classis, regional synod and general synod) in mutual support of the fulfillment of the calling of the church.
The GKSA operates from an efficient building complex that includes a well-equipped auditorium and the denomination’s archives. Ecumenical ties have been established with churches in the USA, Scotland, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, the Congo, Japan and Korea. The GKSA operates in accordance with Holy Scripture, the three Formularies of Unity and the Canons of Dordt.